Wednesday, March 21, 2007

[muse] RSS Feeds Lessons

Suddenly, I am reading RSS feeds every day. Lessons learned:

1. Small tweaks turn Blah into Great
Google Reader is not so different from Bloglines and others. But small differences in UI features make Google Reader so much more pleasant for me compared to Bloglines.

I love stories of small key differences that end up in huge impact -- think adhesive tape on diapers.

2. I need editorialized news
I had always found it difficult to stay focused to read general news feeds, and for a long time it also stopped me reading rss feeds altogether. I finally realized what I needed, was editorialized news like TechCrunch.

I could have all the news articles in the world. But that doesn't make them all interesting.

In fact, most of them are not very interesting to me at all.

I suppose that's why people watch news on TV. Though I find myself seriously disagreeing with the editorial taste of most TV news. Please, skip the slow-car-chase story.

3. Don't waste my time
I nuked CNN and BBC news feeds. They only provide headlines and would force me to go to their site to read the full story. Why would I do that?

I can't stand "dead time" spent waiting for page to load.

Let me scroll and scan, please.