Tuesday, September 18, 2007

[story] Big Spender

A fun twist to a classic:

For generations, my family served as the village guardians. Like my mother and her mother before her, I was born with the gift to forsee the darker side of life -- disasters, evil, weaknesses. And we used our powers to help protect the village. If a drought was coming, we'd teach everyone to save food and water. If temptations were clouding people's minds, we'd set them back on the right path. We took great pride and joy in our duties.

But one year things got really bad. Flood, fire, storm, sicknesses -- one after another. Day and night, we worked so hard to help people cope. But one day, they just snapped. They got it into their little heads, that somehow it was all our fault. So they took my family and me, and threw us into the raging river, one by one.

I was the only one who survived.

And on that day, I swore to never use my power for the "greater good" again. What good is it if I couldn't even help myself and my family? And you know what, when you can see people's weaknesses like they are written on their face, it is so easy to take what you want from them.

Take, for example, that man over there. Handsome, rich. Thinks he's smart. Ha. He has no idea. I can take everything away from him so easily ...

The minute you walked in the joint
I can see you were a man of distinction
A real big spender
Good looking, so refined
Say, wouldn't you like to know what's going on in my mind
So let me get right to the point
I don't pop my cork for every man I see
Hey big spender!
Spend a little time with me.

Wouldn't you like to have fun, fun, fun
How's about a few laungh, laugh?
I can show you a good time!
Let me show you a good time

The minute you walked in the joint
I can see you were a man of distinction
A real big spender
Good looking, so refined
Say, wouldn't you like to know what's going on in my mind
So let me get right to the point
I don't pop my cork for every man I see
Hey big spender!
Hey big spender!
Hey big spender!
Spend a little time with me.
Spend a little time with me.
Spend a little time with me.