Thursday, December 02, 2004

[info] 401K, IRA, and HealthCare for self-employed

SEP-IRA: Allows you to contribute up to %25 of $41000 of your earned income as self-employed. You can withdraw the money early but pay a penalty. No other forms to file.

Self-employed 401K: Like the SEP-IRA but with 3 differences:
- Can contribute $13000 on top of the %25 compensation (up to $41000 total)
- Has a annual form you have to file
- Cannot withdraw funds until "trigger" events (Q: what trigger events other than getting too old?)

Health Savings Account (HSA): Sign up with a High-Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) -- where annual deductible is $1000+ for singles -- and you can be qualified for an HSA, which allows you make a tax-deductibel contribution up to your deductible amount, which you can use to pay for your health care expenses, and you can keep the money in the account year after year.

More and more insurance companies now offer HDHP plans but finding a good HSA administrator that won't charge you all kinds of fees is hard.

This portal has a lot of good information:

And this it the one bank that I found that is free of all the nutty fees: