Thursday, April 26, 2007

[log] I'm hot 'cause I'm fly

Pierre sent me this article today: http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0711,harvilla,76021,22.html

I forwarded to Paul who responded with:

I have a few concerns with Mims deductive argument "I'm hot 'cause I'm fly/You ain't 'cause you not."

he’s saying that “I’m fly” implies “I’m hot”. But then ads that “You not [fly]” implies “You ain’t [hot]” as a flawed deduction – common mistake for rappers. 1st order logic would suggest that the correct following deduction would be “You ain’t [hot]” implies “You not [fly]”. This would require Mims to change his lyrics to make them consistent with basic logic “I’m hot ‘cause I’m fly/You not ‘cause you ain’t”.

I sent Paul's comment to Pierre, who then came back with:

Well, if Mims led with the statement that “all who are hot are also fly”, then all Mims would have to say is “I’m hot and you’re not.” That would then imply that Mims is both hot (and, by default, fly) and the recipient of his statement was neither hot nor fly.

How I love nerd jokes!